News & Reviews
18th March 2020
The well-being of the Circus Oz community is of the utmost importance to us. We are actively monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and are taking steps to help keep our audiences, participants, cast and crew as safe as possible.
We are following advice from the Australian Government Department of Health, Department of Health & Human Services Victoria and our peak body Live Performance Australia. The circumstances are evolving very quickly and we are altering our operations as advice is updated. We are acting as responsively as possible and will continue to update this page and communicate with our audiences as the situation changes.
Key Information as of Wednesday 6 April
- The Victorian Government has implemented stage 3 restrictions and directed all Victorians to stay home
- The Prime Minister has activated the Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
How does this affect Circus Oz performances and programs?
- In light of the government’s decision to restrict indoor mass gatherings of over 100 people, our tour of Aurora can no longer continue.
- We will continue to work with the venues on each local refund policy and processes and recognise the ramifications this will have on venues, and the sector.
- The venues will contact ticket holders regarding refunds. We ask that audiences please be patient. This is an unprecedented situation and the implications are being managed as efficiently as possible in uncharted territory.
NEON: Reboot and Bubblegum Cabaret
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival has been cancelled
- NEON: Reboot and Bubblegum Cabaret have been postponed (dates TBC)
- Details of the new seasons will be confirmed as soon as is practicable and ticket holders will be contacted
- Ticket holders are entitled to a full refund. If you would prefer to have your tickets refunded please contact Eventfinda.
Circus Classes and Workshops
- Term two classes are cancelled
- Term one classes were cancelled from Monday 16 March
- The Autumn School Holiday Program was cancelled
- Participants will be offered pro-rata refund for the current term and full refund or credit note for the School Holiday Program
- Refunds will be issued for cancelled term one classes and the Autumn Holiday program in the coming weeks. You do not need to contact us to arrange this. Please be patient as we work through the administrative process
- Upcoming regular workshops, such as Deadly Elders Circus and Koori Youth Circus, and regular education programs are cancelled until further notice.
The Melba Spiegeltent
- All shows scheduled in The Melba until 19 April are cancelled or postponed as follows:
POSTPONED – DATES TBC
- Neon: Reboot
- Bubblegum Cabaret
Ticket holders for postponed events will be informed when new dates are confirmed. If you would prefer to have your tickets refunded please contact Eventfinda.
- Innocence Lost
- Queerstories 25 March
- Better Off Said 5 April
Ticket holders for cancelled events will automatically receive a refund as soon as possible. Please be patient as our ticketing agency is handling a large volume of refunds to cancelled events in this unprecedented situation.
The Circus Oz Building
- The Circus Oz building in Collingwood will be closed to the public from Wednesday 18 May until further notice
- Many Circus Oz staff will work remotely during this period
- You will still be able to contact us using the methods listed on our Contact page, including the office phone number
- All activities such as Open Training, workshops and Sidesault Program bookings will cease until further notice.
No Wages lost due to COVID-19
We recognise that this is a deeply challenging time for many people in the arts sector and beyond, who rely on casual or contract work. All Circus Oz employees (including casual employees) will be paid their contracted hours, including staff that have been contracted for events and programs that have been cancelled. We don’t believe individuals should be financially responsible for a health crisis.